Sep 29, 2009

1 Throwbacks of the Week--September.29.2009

Welcome to the 7th installment of our Throwbacks of the Week segment. This is where we reminisce on the old styles, music and other memories from the past. For this week, we have the trendsetter for “The Hustla Movement”, the dude who made a chipped tooth look cool, a classic baseball movie and “wannabe Mexican” look.

In 2001, Fabolous busted out on the scene with his first hit, Can’t Deny It with Nate Dogg. Nobody knew who this dude was but he made his presence known in the game with this track and his debut album, Ghetto Fabolous. At this time, Nate Dogg was on everybody’s chorus whether it was East or West coast and he could make a song stay in your head. But with this song, people automatically picked up on the lyrical talent of Fab and now look where he’s at today. Still doing big things, still has more to do!




“Hey Smalls, you wanna s’more?”
“Some more of what?
“You’re killing me Smalls!”

If you haven’t seen this movie, your childhood must have been depressing. I can honestly say that this is one of those movies that I could never get sick of. The story of a group of neighborhood kids who played baseball daily constantly makes me want to go back to my childhood and do the same…instead of staying posted on the Sega all day. I’m not sure as to what kids their ages do nowadays, but not enough of them are playing baseball…or doing any type of outdoor activities that keeps kids out of trouble. I don’t know though, I’m just saying that because my nephew is 10 years old and all he does is stay on his dad’s PS3 until bedtime. SMH…technology advancement is a bitch.




As much as it may not seem like a throwback (for the oldheads), my generation barely remembers this album, or even this rapper for instance. When Cassidy came out with his single “I’m A Hustla” off of his 2nd album, most thought this would be the time for Cass to take off. That song was one of the most impressive songs, lyrically. His album “I’m A Hustla” could be found in most CD players in 2005 when it was dropped. Most were impressed by the first song on the album when he battled himself in “The Problem vs. The Hustla”. This album was hot enough to hit Number 5 on the Hot Billboard 200 in 2005 and this gave Philly hope for a whole new prodigy. I can honestly say that 80% of the CD was pure crack and I wouldn’t mind listening to it…if I still had it. After his 2006 murder trial, Cass fell off and has yet to come back out with something to help this rap game out. Come back Cass!! We need you!



Don’t get it twisted…I still own a pair of Dickies, I just where them for work. A lot of people I knew had the entire Dickies outfit, including me. The tan, black, dark blue, red even the green Dickies outfits could be found in my clique. And if you had the two-tone look, you were just that dude.  I myself had the all black and the all tan look…and I even had the fitted Dickies cap to go compliment it. I don’t know what it was back in those middle school days, but I thought looking as Mexican as I can would attract people to me. It did the job because if you didn’t have at least a Dickies shirt or pair of pants, you’re closet was slacking. It was the funniest thing to get all of your boys to wear the fits on the same day, then roll 20 deep into the mall to see who we could intimidate. Little did we know, we were about 11-12 years old, so we looked like Dicks in Dickies. Good days….






















Anybody who is looking to throw in some suggestions for next week’s Throwbacks of the Week segment, email us at ifnotfreshthenwhat@yahoo.com or you can get at any of the founders on Facebook


Thanks for tuning in
AND
Til next time,

Stay F.A.D.E.D
Bp



Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. wow yall definitely went back there...with fab, sandlot, cassidy that was the ish back then, and wrapped it up with the dickies outfit that honestly is still going hard in cali!!!! Pure craziness loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete

All flames, rude, ignorant and offensive comments will be erased.

What do you like?